Friday, July 13, 2007

Fast food?

After an extra shitty, busy day at the office that began at ten till seven, my day had managed to progress to 2:30 without lunch. In an effort to not get pissy with a pizza delivery guy, i decided to say efff it and leave the office for Wendy's, less than a half mile away. i new it would suck, i knew it wasn't what i wanted, but atleast it would be fast.

i caught the bastard left turn onto New Circle light and pulled into the drive thru line. First, it seemed slower than usual; until i rounded the corner. The genius corporate dudes at Wendy's have decided to test out this new TWO drive through concept. Not two windows to pick up your food, but two places to order, and one place to pick up. i sat in my car and observed for a minute. The jack asses that decided this would be a good idea must have talked to the dudes that designed a 1/4 mile merge ramp onto a two lane highway (think Leestown Road onto New Circle.) Anyway, at what point the new drive thru designers thought that hungry, on a time limit, cut Moose off in traffic, fry feinds would allow each other to "merge" to get there order, would work i would love to know.

After ten minutes of pondering, and watching the line not move, i decided not to participate in the madness, pissed the two dudes off beside me, and got out of line. Hit New Circle again, and was going to head towards Arby's. Great idea until i notice that someone thought it would be a good idea to do construction on New Circle Road. Traffic is backed up for miles. So if flip a bitch and head to McDonalds. By this time i didn't care what i ate, i was going to go postal on the next a-hole that got in my way. i hit McD's with no problems, but it sucked just as much as i thought Wendy's would when i left the office 35 minutes prior. Atleast McDonalds, from what i can tell, has abandoned the 2 ordering screens, and they definately aren't trying to have 2 lanes and one window.

2 comments:

Jay Belt said...

Ugh. I freaking hate those Wendy's dual drive thru lanes. And I don't understand why McDonalds sometimes uses the 2 order monitors and sometimes they don't. I always pull up to the first one, and they tell me wether I can pull forward to the next one or if using that one is ok.

I've actually written off Wendy's as a whole. It seems Wendy's spanish training videos aren't as good as McDonalds and Taco Bell's spanish training videos because I can't seem to get the mexicans at Wendy's to EVER get my order right.

I guess I need to learn how to say, "Hold the tomato," in spanish.

The Locke said...

The dual lanes come down to two important factors:

1. Execution from the drive-thru staff. If they can't keep up, the hole thing sucks donkey balls.
2. Your fellow fast food eaters. If they cut you off, your order will be wrong, and the entire thing will be for naught.

The McDs at Palomar has the 2 lanes and I have to say they REALLY know how to use it. I have only gotten the wrong food twice, and it was because the dipshits in front of me cut me off when they were supposed to wait.

This is definitely the fastest fast food place in Lexington and I am impressed with how the manager teaches 14 year old white kids and 140 year old Mexicans to handle the two lanes efficiently.

The Wendy's here in hooterville has two lanes and it took about a month for everyone to figure it out...but I am still not sure it is any faster than before.

Jay, if you want to stop being disappointed...stop asking for changes. I get everything and every time I get what I want because it is all written down on a piece of paper in front of them...not the screen that they ignore.